Tuesday, October 6

Conversations

The past 24 hours has provided me with some of the best conversations I've had with Ugandans yet. Yesterday I was reading/napping at Zion Hill in the shade and a random guy (still don't know his name) sat and talked with me about God, friendship, economics, etc for over 2 hours. We did a lot of laughing and I felt less tired when we got done.

Then Silver walked me home, at which point Toto welcomed him for tea. He stayed for over an hour asking about my homeland and telling me about his. We also had ground nuts which makes the experience all the better. Silver is a good friend that will walk miles with you just for the conversation. Then he'll turn around and walk back alone in great spirits. He's one of the youngest guys on campus - a first year law student admitted early to University.

Suzan and I went to community worship and then lunch together and had long discussions about cultural marriage policies and community development and the like. We stayed long past the time everyone left from lunch. She imitated how she would act if she had to tell her father she was pregnant. I have just been loving the presence of Ugandans these past few days. It's refreshing.

I'm coordinating a smores party on Monkey Hill Friday (independence day), followed by a journey to the craft show where artisans come from surrounding nations to sell their products. Trying to get some more sweet instruments! Which reminds me: I gotta take my Adungu (African Bush Harp) back to be fixed.

1 comments:

hellouganda said...

Hey Mukoto, talking about the community and the Ugandan society - Have checkout the Hellouganda.com website? It has more than you can imagine... Masive Portal for all infromation about Uganda plus the Hotels in Uganda and Tourism Agents etc.. http://www.hellouganda.com

Cheers.
Julius Noble S.

Post a Comment