Thursday, October 8

Malaria and Poetry and Uganda Students

So yesterday I had four classes. In one I presented the history of Christian-Muslim relations in East Africa. After my classes, I got phoned by my Old Testament group and met up with the Ugandan students to continue to draft our answer to one homework assignment question. Ugandans find it necessary to define every word in the question even before brainstorming the answer, at which point all opinions are considered and heavily argued over. So what is 5 minutes of work for an American is an hour and a half for Ugandans. Not to mention, I ended up typing for a Ugandan girl that I didn't know. She couldn't type well, like many of them, and asked me to type her paper. Did I mention she is taking the IT course? I'm not making sport of her though, she's a very nice gal.

Sam came home in the evening with Malaria. He asked me while I was brushing my teeth what it meant to kiss a girl's hand. I asked him why. He said he saw it on a movie and because he was feeling like crap today, he tried it out as he met a new cute girl. He said he needed something to laugh about after feeling like crap all day. I told him next time he even had a remote interest in a girl he should just try to kiss her even before talking, that way he will know if she likes him back. Oh yeah....Kevina seems to have recovered from malaria after one day. Well actually, once you have it you always have it, but it only shows up at certain times and stuff.

Tonight Suzan and I are going to the poetry night. I might share something. I remember the spoken word nights at Messiah at the Southside Cafe and how many Africans recited their works about identity. So I'm hoping for something equally as good, but it's a lot to ask for.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that yesterday in our African Religions class, a guest speaker came three and a half hours from the Bagisu tribe to describe the Gisu process of circumcision. The teenagers are to stand completely still, unblinking, as their foreskins are sliced away. He was fully equipped with visual aids.

0 comments:

Post a Comment