Monday, November 16

Another Weekend Gone By

Only a few weekends left!

This past weekend was good. Friday we went to a Shrine depicting the early Christian Martyr's. Ugandans tells us these martyrs are the seed of the Church. Catholics and Anglicans alike died together.

Friday night I went to a dinner at the home of the couple who runs Mennonite Central Committee of Uganda. MCC is the most legit Christian organization on the face of the planet. Seriously, they are so creative in the ways they provide relief, development, and peacemaking/keeping. They have so many diverse projects and empower organizations and churches already in existence rather than starting their own denominational establishments for the sake of competition. I would consider working with them later, maybe in advancing peace or in interfaith relations.

Saturday I met with Megan Clapp in Kampala. It was an awesome day. We just chilled. She took me through the market and to a local restaurant she likes. We talked about our experiences. She says she'd consider working in East Africa. I guess I would also, but I feel more called to the states at this point. After chilling, Meg and I met Suzan who was on her way back from IDP Camps or something in Kitgum. Then we walked to take a taxi home. Suzan and I reached our home after long traffic jams and cramped legs.

Sunday I was a Pagan and skipped church (like my family decides to do every week haha). Instead, I did my wash and read and relaxed. Then I took Suzan for lunch (after emailing a job application). We went to a place that was not too satisfying on the ends of quality food and service. They didn't have change for 20000, so Suzan had to walk to find change. No local businesses had change so after 30 minutes she came back to pay our balance. Then we went home to play cards. Papa had employed a truck to come pick up the bricks Sam and Joshua fired way back when. The truck delivered them to our family's other property where they are building a hostel for local students. I hope the hostel is soon finished so the family has income. It's looking like they can struggle by with two of their kids' education. Kevina and Joshua will have to be funded from elsewhere if they hope to get an education through college. School fees. What every African family desires. It's simple to live on less than a dollar a day, but now that the western world has introduced another necessity, Africans across the continent (and those of other continents also) are now begging for this "need" which they have no capital to afford.

This weekend we are going to Rakai in the south to learn about the AIDS epidemic and organizations working with that and stuff.
Next Thursday is Thanksgiving and I'm making Cinnamon French Toast for our dinner together.

I can feel the schoolwork both picking up and winding down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment