Thursday, November 19

Please Read Previous Post (before this one)

So I've already failed to accept my renewed call. The next morning when I woke up, I forgot to pray for peace, good health, and strength like the man in Geheni, Rwanda told me to do every morning (I added wisdom to this list). I forgot to sing: "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies are new every day. They are new every morning, great is Your faithfulness." So I'm already a hypocrit because my praxis has failed to align with my telos.

The other day I came home early with Suzan. We were going to go to the garden on the hill but it had been wet due to rain hours before (it's out of place when the wetness sits and it's not immediately dusty 30 minutes after raining), so we just went to our house. Toto had just come back from a burial, looking sadder than I've ever seen her. She told me, "it's just a part of life" and talked a little bit about God. I love when people who aren't committed to a faith of Sunday mornings tell me about God. It's raw and refreshing. Anyway, I asked Toto what she wanted from the market, and she smiled and laughed and thankfully said "anything." I walked a minute to the shop and bought g-nuts and chocolate (Suzan's favorite). There's this one chocolate bar that tastes like a Twix kind of, and another that is a combination of chocolate and orange. Too bad nowadays the only fair trade chocolate you can buy is at least $5 for a small bar. Too bad I buy into the oppressive system anyway. So we took these foodstuffs back home, giving some to Toto. I'm not sure if she ate any.

Suzan and I were in the sitting room and relaxing when I heard the voice of some girls out back. I was hearing Ateso being spoken with my name randomly interspersed. So a few minutes later these 3 girls run into the sitting room greeting me loudly. They are the ones I sometimes go get water with. They are fun and always walking together and wanting to talk to me when I'm around. I had been playing my drum and mbira and one thing led to another and a dance party broke out. They broke a string or two on my adungu, but I can probably get it fixed for free. They left home after about an hour at which point I showered as Suzan and Mom and Kevina prepared dinner.

Last night Sam informed me that this romantic relationship he's been having with "Abigail" on campus has been all a lie so he could write a novel or a movie script. Instead, he's actually interested in one of the USP girls but afraid to intrude in case she has a girlfriend. Funny guy.

Tonight we are hearing Douglas Fountain, a mzungu staff member at UCU present to us on the topic of AIDS. After that I'll be driven home. I'm going to send Suzan some money to go to town and pick up mozzarella cheese and noodles so I can make some pasta tonight since it is Papa's last night with us before he returns to Gulu for work.

Tomorrow we are leaving at 2 PM for a supposedly 6-hour drive to Rakai to learn about AIDS and a Community Operation involved with AIDS victims for the weekend. We come back Sunday around 9 PM. There is apparently no cell phone reception there so you will not be able to get ahold of me until I return on Monday.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

"So I've already failed to accept my renewed call" . . . I've been there many times. I've made so many well-intentioned commitments over the years and then failed to live up to them like quickly forgotten New Years resolutions, allowing the demands of daily life to crowd them out. I've become quite slow to raise my hand when a speaker appeals to the congregation as to who will make this or that commitment, this or that promise. I keep thinking of Jesus parable of the son who agreed to do his father's bidding but failed to do so, and the other son who said he would not do his father's bidding but later did it. I feel like all too often I am the first son, and Jesus observes that it is the second who did the will of the father.

Post a Comment