Friday, November 13

Silver

So yesterday in the Dining Hall a student was standing up between the two sides holding a Bible just preaching to anyone who was listening. Nobody was watching him. He was telling students to repent of their sins and turn to Jesus Christ. Another attribute of the ever-growing Pentecostalism movement in Uganda.

Anyway, I wanted to comment about Silver, my friend who is in his first semester as a Law student. He's one determined kid with great time management. He sleeps early and wakes around 5 AM to read his Bible, the English dictionary, and law reading additional to his studies. He's very hardworking and determined to succeed in law so he can help slow financial corruption in the courts. He is very friendly and social with his fellow students, roommates, professors, etc. His time management is incredible. Yesterday he wanted to spend time reading my poetry and listening to my DIY recordings on my Macbook. When a girl came asking for money for a fundraiser walk, he gave money explaining that the Lord provides. he wants to become a lawyer and provide free services to those victims of rape, injustice, etc that cannot afford good services. He's trying to get a visa or green card or whatnot to the states. Normally I tell Ugandan students that they probably don't want to go there as much as they think, but if anyone would utilize our good education system it would be Silver. So that's my friend Silver.

Suzan is in Kitgum learning from an organization that works with victims of Kony Rebels (Lord's Resistance Army victims). However, she text me yesterday saying that due to poor budgeting they might be coming back today. That's kind of ridiculous on a University level (especially for a reputable university like UCU) that budgeting would be that poor.

Today I'll be going to a local shrine after my one class. In the evening I'm going to a missionary's house for dinner. The missionary works with Mennonite Central Committee, and I want to learn about peacemaking missions in Uganda (if there have ever been any) and what they have to say about the role of nonviolence in missions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment