Wednesday, September 23

Computer Possessions

Yesterday I was reading Luke and noticing how Jesus speaks quite heavily about attachments/possessions and how disciples cannot be bound to such things. Then I was reading Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger where Ron Sider explains the way that westerners rationalize their affluence and how absurd it is. Anyway, so of course I've always admitted that my Macbook is the one material possession I have that would be near impossible to rid myself of. Well, an IMME student accidently dropped a padlock on my keyboard, chipping one key and destroying the left arrow key. Well, my first reaction was trying not to be upset and just passing it off as a thing of this world, which is really hard to do when even Christians around you are saying, "But Phil, it's YOUR computer." They don't understand that this is a huge struggle for me. The philosophy of non-attachment (part of the reason I enjoy Buddhist teachings) is hand-in-hand with following Christ. So of course, Apple, the greedy capitalists they are, say it's %50-70 to replace a keyboard, and since the damage is not throughout the keyboard, I'm hoping to find a way around this. It really puts me in an awkward position. I don't believe in forcing people to pay for things. It's just really inconvenient that I was heavily convicted of my possessions immediately beforehand. I'm all like, "Hey God, shut up for once."

EDIT: Okay, so I guess I should also mention something good about my day. I came home early from campus, maybe like 5:30, and nobody was home. I decided since I couldn't find the laundry detergent that I'd take 5000 shillings and see if I could get something new at the supermarket. When I went out of the store, I saw Chelsey from our USP program walking with a Ugandan. My natural instinct when UCU males are talking one-on-one with USP girls is to walk over and make sure things aren't shady. Well this UCU student, Laban, invited both of us to his hostel. He fed us bananas and cleaned his room and gave us hot chocolate to offer hospitality. The earliest we were able to leave was about 6:55 and we're supposed to be back at our homestays at 7. I hadn't taken my phone with me because I was only expecting to be a few minutes at the supermarket and still get back home before everyone. However, since I got sidetracked by a stranger (speaking of strangers, "stranger" "guest" and "visitor" are all the same word in Luganda, which is awesome), Toto, Kevina, and Dean were on the front porch waiting for me when I got back a few minutes after 7. I worried them a little bit but I think Toto understood when I told her I had forgotten to "move with the phone."

0 comments:

Post a Comment