Thursday, September 10

First Major Frustration

So I'm in a class called African Traditional Religion, Islam, and Christianity in Africa. Yesterday we signed up for a topic to lead with a group later on in the semester. I signed up for week 10 which pertained to Interreligious studies of ATR, Islam, and Christianity. I was super pumped about doing the topic of Jesus through the lens of Islam because I have been highly interested in that subject, reading the Qur'an, reading other authors on the topic, etc. I think I have something fascinating and insightful to offer the class.

Well it turns out that because of another paper that is due, everything got bumped off one week, so people are stuck with topics they didn't want, or at least those that were unaware about the bumping of the weeks. I have to settle for freaking "Christianity in Uganda." Of course, I can talk all about how white missionaries oppressed the continent with their theology of possessions and systematic western progress, but that would just make me turn more cynical. Additionally, I have to stand in front of my professor, a local African Reverend who probably knows everything there is to know about Christianity in Uganda and pretend that I have something new to offer. Man, this really pisses me off. I asked some people if they wanted to switch, but they wouldn't, and I don't blame them. Who wants to present Christianity in Uganda? It is the topic least likely to engage the class and present new knowledge. I was really wanting to push some thinking of students and maybe even my professor through reading verses from the Qur'an about Jesus' second-coming, title of Messiah, etc. Well, I guess that opportunity is out the window. Talk about a day being ruined. I would just get over it if I didn't have anything new to offer the class, but the thing is that I do. Seriously. This sucks.

1 comments:

quinsanity said...

keep your head up phil! i always look forward to reading your posts.. i'm definitely thinking of you man; use this chance to surprise yourself.
peace
q

Post a Comment