Friday, September 11

"Violent Demonstrations"

Okay, so here's something that I'll comment on at the risk of terrifying friends, relatives, etc:

Last night one of the kings in Uganda was trying to make a visit and minority rebel groups decided this shouldn't happen, resulting in stand-offs, riots, etc throughout Kampala. Apparently the king tried to reroute or something, so these demonstrations stretched to Mukono, a kilometer from our home. This in turn redirected taxi traffic to and from Kampala to our neck of the woods. All USP students are safe, all US citizens got emails from the embassy, of course, but some locals have died. Tear gas has been shot in Mukono. The police seem to have generally restored peace, but I probably won't be able to go into town today like I was hoping to. Papa Bernard was on the phone last night asking his colleagues to pray for his travels on Sunday. Talk about feeling more important than everyone else, kind of like when the UN evacuated all US citizens out of Rwanda. For some reason, I guess we have more value as human beings. I don't like that idea. If you are worrying, please don't. Though the Peace Corp has left parts of Kampala, stand-offs are disbanding. The president has called for support, and things should be back to normal this weekend, at least in Mukono. I don't hear any ruckus from here, so it actually might be fine right now. I wish USP would allow me to take my camera downtown.

My prayers to those who lost loved ones on this date 8 years ago, and my prayers to those who continue to lose loved ones as a result of our nation's irresponsible retaliation. I think this day should be retitled "Get to know a Muslim near you Day." If Rwanda can do it, reconciliation is possible with us.

EDIT: So the story I heard about the riots is different from other rumors. Apparently the President actually doesn't want the King to visit a group of children that he speaks to near Kampala each year, and it is actually governmental forces making the stand-offs. Some IMME students had to stay with our professors on campus and stuff, and I'm pretty jealous cuz they got pampered with brownies and pizza and stuff. Anyway, news stations are all covering the events, and we will be meeting as USP in less than an hour to see how the situation is and decide where to go next as a program. Again, I encourage you not to worry as this is not an incredible revolution - it is simply part of the culture.

2 comments:

Cindi said...

Not worrying- trusting Jesus to take good care of you and hoping things settle so that you can continue the program! Love ya!

Cindi said...

YEAH! I finally figured out how to comment! :)

Post a Comment